Thursday, November 19, 2015

I'm Scratching You Out of My Head

Today's topic for discussion: What would cause you to end a friendship? Write about it on this blog.

How? Think of friends you have had in the past. Think of the things some of them have done to you. Think of times you were angry with your friends. Think of times your friend was angry or unfair with you. Think of times you may have done something to end a friendship.

Open up. Write about it.

Why talk about this? Well, it connects with you honestly. It connects with the pain you had. 

Pain. Yes, pain. Part of humor is to discover painful topics and find ways to heal the pain through laughter.

I'll go first.

When I was young, I have a friend named Dave. The two of us collected comics together in elementary school. He was a very strange kid. Our friendship lasted only a month, because he was a strange guy.

Don't get me wrong. I was a strange kid, too. And yes, still a strange adult in some ways. But he was much stranger than me, which sounds scientifically impossible, but it is true. I was amateur strange; he was professionally strange. I couldn't compete with that.

Sometimes my statements made him threaten to end the friendship. He would take his finger, scratch him forehead, and say, "I'm scratching you out of my head." For the record, memory doesn't work that day. Imagine if he had continued this habit into adulthood, how long a scar he would have on his forehead. Either he would be an outcast from society or popular with women turned on by scars. I could not say which.

So, anyway, back to Dave. I don't remember what exactly happened, but I decided to take my comic books home from his room. He threw into an angry fit. He took a belt and hit me on the top of my head. I was in tears. I couldn't do anything.

His parents eventually came into the room, apologized, and seemed to look at me with the face that said, "He's our fault. Sorry, kid." So I took my comic books and left.

Ouch.

I think what would cause me to end a friendship is if that friend somehow betrayed me, like Dave did. He was difficult to deal with, perhaps on purpose, so he could control the friendship in a weird way. He also got me into Marvel Comics, which meant I would lose even more money in my life. I think he also hurt my sense of friendship for a long time. Or maybe I let him do that. Or something.

I just wrote that without any knowledge of where it would go. I should do this more often. Thank you, blog. Thank you, readers.

Now back to comedy. My goal was to find something humorous somewhere. I had only one or two ideas that were funny. Worried? Not me. Perhaps I can find more connections, more comparisons, more ideas that take a little bit of the pain away.

It was once said that comedy is pain plus time. You identify something that is painful to you, you deal with it, and you find something to laugh about. Maybe you won't get on stage and talk about Dave, the weird kid who made you cry in fifth grade. But you can get more in touch with the humorous side that needs humor to continue in life.

So yes, back to your homework. What would cause you to end a friendship? Write about it on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment