Sunday, November 22, 2015

Lesson: So Adjective That

Finish the joke:

Our teacher is so dumb that
1. she doesn’t know a lot.
2. she isn’t smart.
3. she forgot her name.
I’ll give you a clue: It’s a joke using exaggeration. To exaggerate is to say something as better or worse, or more intense or less intense in some way, than it really is.
Exaggeration helps you add extra strength to your communication. Men do not know personally the pain women go through when they give birth. The comedian Carol Burnett described labor pains this way:
“Grab your bottom lip, and pull it over your head.”
Of course, we can’t do that. That’s what makes it an exaggeration.
So the correct answer is C.

Let’s exaggerate using so adjective that, and we will make at least one paragraph.

Part 1: Match the numbers with the letters to make good jokes.
1.       Mom’s hearing is so powerful that ___
2.       Curtis is so fat that ___
3.       Your apartment is so dirty that ___
4.       I am so hungry that ___
A.    everybody gets sick when they visit you.
B.    he can’t fit inside a stadium.
C.     I can eat a horse.
D.    he can hear butterflies flying.
1.       Medusa was so ugly that ___
2.       The restaurant is so expensive that ___
3.       Roger’s head is so shiny that ___
4.       My teacher’s voice is so loud that ___
A.    Bill Gates can’t buy food there.
B.    his friends always wear sunglasses.
C.     people turned to stone when they see her.
D.    she wakes up dead people.

Do you know the answers? Write them in the replies!

Part 2: Study the sentences above and the grammar below.
Noun phrase
am
is
are
was
were
so adjective that
subject
verb
 (etc.)
Clause about the noun phrase
Clause about how adjective
the noun phrase is

To make a joke that exaggerates, follow this advice:
The first part should not be funny. It’s just normal. Don’t make this funny.
The second part is surprising. It exaggerates the first part. It is funny.

Part 3: Make three funny sentences using the so adjective that grammar.
Ideas
old
big
small
long
late
hard
strong
hot
cold
popular
traditional
difficult
intelligent
dangerous
unusual
famous
careful
boring
strict
angry
exciting
friendly
curious
embarrassed
mad
nervous
suspicious
tall

Part 4: Choose the funniest sentence. Use it to make a short story. Try to make it funny.

Example:
I was walking down the street when I met my smart friend Roger. His brain is so busy that he can’t grow any hair on his head.  So when I saw him, I put on sunglasses. I was going to a job interview, so he gave me advice for the interview. My smart friend left and I waited for the bus, but I still was wearing sunglasses. It was so dark that I didn’t see the bus. I missed the job interview! Oh no!

What do you think? Please reply to this message. Let’s talk!

2 comments:

  1. Very clever and very nice idea to teach grammar in English! Just look out for a few grammar mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Koziori, if you use it, let me know how it works. I would be interested in your feedback.

    ReplyDelete